Thursday, February 27, 2014

Nokia X: important question Android-apps - Telecompaper


How well

family phones Nokia X compatible with existing Android-programs.

Almost immediately after the announcement of the X-family of smartphones based on Android-system Nokia has opened access to a set of development tools X Platform SDK.

Finnish giant claims that about 75% of existing Android-ready applications to run on the X-phones without any code modification. The remaining 25% of the programs are incompatible because they use services from the package Google Mobile Services, responsible for such, for example, things like push-delivery notifications, maps and navigation,-internal payments. The code for these applications have to be rewritten, switching on their own projects with Nokia, and take it somewhere eight o’clock.

Nokia organized a testing ground for the Android-application developers, which allows to determine the degree of compatibility APK-specific files with the environment X-smartphones.

Documentation SDK-toolkit shows that X-platform code base relies on Android Open Source Project in the wording of 4.1.2 (16th API-level) has its own API-calls to the above functions, alternative Google-services: push-notifications, mapping Here Maps, cash transactions. It seems, Nokia came up seriously enough the issue of incompatible Android-conversion applications.

In developing countries, which are focused on the proposed phones Nokia X, X + and XL, bank card system is poorly developed. That’s why-internal purchases that generate the lion’s share of money from mobile commerce applications will rely on mobile operators billing. Shop Nokia Store has the appropriate agreements with more than 160 providers in six dozen countries.

Application developers will receive 70% of the traditional trade Android-related applications and premium content, and we are talking about “pure” amount without any deduction operator charges. Developers are allowed to publish trial software for windows Nokia Store.


possible to evaluate the practical suitability AOSP-platform Nokia X for the end user. So, Android-phones quite a third-party application support booting process when APK-files come from sources like the connected computer or some websites.

Nokia X knows how to deal with widgets, eg Android-widget factory, responsible for setting the screen brightness, turn on and off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, etc.

If desired, the Nokia X can deploy any other launcher – application launcher, for example, Apex Launcher.

© Yuri Strel’chenko, SOTOVIK